The Braidwood Museum holds a particularly fine archive of historical photographs documenting the Braidwood district between the mid 19th century and the present.
Our images are available for sale as high resolution copies, which can be supplied printed on high quality photographic paper, or burnt to CD, at a modest fee. Eventually our entire archive of over 2,000 historic images will be uploaded to this site allowing researchers to easily scan the collection and order particular images.
A selection of our most popular images are available as high resolution images free of charge, below. The images are copyright of the Braidwood & District Historical Society, and must be credited as such whenever they are used in the public forum.
Scroll down to view images. Click on image for printable full size image.
To print, first save pop-up image to your computer and then scale image size to suit your printing preference, otherwise image will print at full size, generally larger than A4
The Mail Coach was about to depart from the Telegraph Office, to the right, just out of this view of the Literary Institute in Wallace Street, circa 1870, as this image was taken.
Dr Holt's new Clemant-Talbot taking a spin past the Albion Hotel in Wallace Street, circa 1910
A Welcome Arch constructed over Wallace Street at Ryrie Park in preparation for the Back to Braidwood historical celebrations in 1925. Braidwood was one of the first rural Australian towns to celebrate its Colonial pioneer history.
Mr Musgrave's stylish house known as "The Villa" in Duncan Street. The prosperous and outspoken editor of The Braidwood Dispatch was also correspondent for the Sydney Morning Herald. Pictured outside is a splendid high-speed Concord-spring Canoe buggy.
Maud & Dolly Nomchong with Sydney friends in sulkies on the Bombay Bridge outside Braidwood. The beautiful waterhole near the bridge is still a popular swimming spot with locals.
Dr Holt in his 1908 Clemant-Talbot on the corner of Wilson and Elrington Streets. Dr Wilson enjoyed racing his car against the clock between local villages, once achieving an average speed of nearly 20mph between Goulburn and Braidwood, considered dangerously fast in that era.
The Old Post Office Stores, built in the 1840s and almost continuously operated by various storekeepers ever since. The image shows the management and staff of the Nomchong General Store in about 1890. The building was purchased by the Nomchong family from Robert Maddrell in that year for £400.
Braidwood locals participating as extras in George Whaley's 1995 film adoptation of Steel Rudd's "On our Selection". The film starred Leo McKern, Joan Sutherland and Noah Taylor and was shot in Braidwood and the surrounding area.
Wallace Street at Duncan Street before the Albion Hotel was built in the 1870s. The streets routinely bogged with mud in winter, making the village approaches very dangerous for horses and pedestrians alike.
Mick Jagger in the 1969 film "Ned Kelly". Jagger played the lead role as Ned Kelly and Braidwood was disguised as a central Victorian town. Evidently Jagger is dressed as a policeman in this publicity still for a scene where Kelly had audaciously disguised himself as a policeman for a raid on a mid-Victorian village.
Nelly Nomchong wearing one of the two very rare Chinese wedding gowns which are central exhibits in the Braidwood Museum. The portrait was taken in about 1900.
The famous Braidwood businessman Quong Tart rose from humble beginnings on the goldfields to a position of great wealth and influence.
Tart's chain of Tea Rooms in Sydney remained popular for several decades, and his famous scone recipe survives and apparently still works well. Several items belonging to Quong Tart are in the Braidwood Museum collection.
The Jew's Hill in about 1880, looking south with the Royal Hotel, now the museum building, on the right, and the Newspaper Office on the left
Copyright for these images must be credited to Braidwood Historical Society